English & English Literature
Our school believes in the infinite potential of every child to love and enjoy the English language:
- We introduce full Shakespearean texts at the lower levels as part of the curriculum.
- We conduct drama in the curriculum also at the lower levels to give budding thespians a chance to express themselves.
- At the upper levels, we have projects like Instapoetry that combine social media and literature appreciation.
- Theatre outings several times a year for all levels for out -of -classroom literary experiences.
- Our students do real-world projects such as writing a policy paper and designing a school curriculum.
“The English department teachers in Catholic High are very inspiring and have on multiple occasions prompted me to think above and beyond what is in the syllabus, and applying the skills I learned to analysing and understanding the real world.”
– Gideon Law (4-3/2016)
Our students presenting at the Singapore Seminar 2017 and meeting Minister Mrs Josephine Teo
Overarching Approach and Purpose
Using a diverse range of texts, contexts & performance skills platforms that explore Human Condition themes to develop:
- Fundamentals in Linguistics, Logic and Literature
- Broad Exposure and Experiences
- Deep Exploration of Individual Talent Areas.
To equip and enable our students with the ability to:
- Make sense, construct meaning and effect change in a fast dynamic world.
- Exercise literary sensitivities and inculcate nuanced perspectives.
- To be passionate, articulate and empathetic gentlemen of principles and convictions.
Language Arts Curriculum
|Literature Special Programme and Talent Development (Upper levels)||
||o Year 1: Literature Fundamentals
o Year 2: Comparative Fundamentals
||o Year 3-4: Critical and Comparative Studies
o Leading towards JC HSP and JC Literature
o Fundamentals of Practical Criticism
o Comparative Studies in Themes – Socio-political-economic
Teaching and Learning Approach
- General Knowledge Reading Programme (All Levels) / Literary Appreciation of Narrative Texts
- In Focus Current Affairs – Commentaries, Panel Discussions, Forums. (All Levels)
- Bicultural Festival (All Levels)
- Practitioner’s Insight Projects. E.g. Short Stories Anthologies, Letters to Agencies, Social Advocacy, Film and Media. (Years 1, 2 and 3)
- Lit Night (Years 1 and 2)
- Public Speaking Stages 1, 2 and 3 (Years 1, 2 and 3)
- The Singapore Seminar (Year 2)
- Overseas Immersion Experience (Year 3)
- International Perspectives (Year 4)
Literature Special Programme and Talent Development (Upper levels)
- Literature Speaker’s Forums
- Creative Writing Circle
- Industry Journeys and Workshops and Attachments
- Film and Media Circle
- CH Debates and CH Theatre