Developing Resilient and Rugged Leaders
The Physical Education & Co-curricular Activities in CHS aims to deliver a thinking and differentiated curriculum with innovative student-centric and values-driven programmes that promote psychomotor, cognitive and affective development. The end in mind is to develop holistic health amongst students through promotion of a healthy lifestyle in Physical Education and Co-curricular Activities, and groom 21st century CHS leaders with a robust character and a passion to serve.
“PE lessons are something that everyone in my class look forward to! I have learned to play well in more sports than I could ever imagine. For example, we had the Softball and Floorball modules in Level 1, and the Basketball and Football modules in Level 2. I am excited to learn that we will be picking up Frisbee and Handball when we are in upper levels!” – Shipley Owen Tyan (Year 2/2018)
“Although OBS was tough, it should be made compulsory for future generations, such that they will learn independence and ruggedness from the wilderness.” – Teo Yee Shuen (Year 4/2018)
Catholic High School offers a range of Co-curricular Activities to provide our students in OP and IP with a platform to discover their interests and talents. Through the CCAs, our students are guided to live a balanced education experience that cultivates and develops friendship, resilience, lifeskills, leadership qualities and other competencies. This helps our students to lead a balanced life in adulthood. In turn, our students have also accomplished a great deal in national competitions, performances and other opportunities.
(1) Visual & Performing Arts (VPA) instil in students a sense of graciousness and an appreciation for the rich culture and heritage of our multi-racial society. We offer 6 Visual and Performing Arts CCAs, and all have achieved credible results at the Singapore Youth Festival Arts Presentations and are recognised for their excellence. For example, in 2015, our Symphony Band was invited by the esteemed Boston Brass to perform with them at the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory.
Our 6 Performing Arts CCAs are:
- Chinese Drama
- Chinese Orchestra
- Edward Becheras Choir
- English Drama
- Modern Dance
- Symphony Band
(2) Physical Sports develop discipline, robustness, fair play and team spirit in students. We offer 7 Physical Sports CCAs, and all have achieved successes at the National School Games.
Our 7 Physical Sports CCAs are:
- Table Tennis
- Track & Field (including Cross-country)
(3) Uniformed Groups (UG) aim to nurture students as good citizens of the world, by inculcating self-reliance, resilience, discipline and a spirit of service to others. We offer 5 Uniformed Groups CCA, and they have been attaining Gold Unit Awards for consecutive years.
Our 5 UG CCAs are:
- NCC Air
- NCC Land
- St John Brigade
(4) Club & Society (CS) allows students to explore & extend their interests in wide-ranging & specialised areas which may be knowledge-based or skills-based. Students are honed in organisation, information, communication & technical skills as they strive to grow their mastery of the specialised areas.
Our CS CCA is:
- i.O.N. (iMedia, Oculus & Nucleii)<incorporating photography/videography, media production, event management, robotics and programming> (i.O.N. is a core CCA from 2018 onward for lower levels including Level 1 students)
The vision of the PE department is for every Catholic High Pupil to enjoy physical activity and to develop a passion for sports by acquiring relevant knowledge and game skills so as to foster the desire to maintain an active lifestyle, as well as, to display the spirit for good sportsmanship. To attain this, its mission is to enhance each child’s physiological and motor skill development and to develop fair play and teamwork so that he can participate in a variety of physical activities and games.
These are some of the PE programmes we offer to students in IP and OP:
|PE Curriculum for IP and OP
(Below: Student on high-elements at our ODLC)